Monday, November 17, 2008

Thrift

Thrift is back in the vocabulary, not only related to thrift stores. According to an article in my local paper, thrift actually means spending wisely. This is something we could all benefit from learning.

I'm still trying to make better choices, and have successfully brought lunch all but two days on my project; not bad for nearly four months! I've also decided that there are certain things I don't need, unless they're on sale; I love fresh pineapple but only on sale. There's plenty of other fruit out there.

I pay closer attention to the sales at my grocery store and have been paying attention to sales other places and coupons. While I'll never be one of the people whose groceries cost $10 a week due to coupon clipping, I'm satisfied that I'm taking advantage of sales, stocking up on non-perishables when they're on sale, buying meat on sale to freeze, so long as I have room in the freezer.

I once had a roommate who filled the freezer with Cinnabons so it was challenging to buy sensible things to freeze. I'm not in that situation any longer but currently my freezer is full, between sale meat and cooking large batches of food to freeze for lunch.

While I'm not able to save that much I'm above the 1.3% that people are generally at right now.

In this economy I feel fortunate to be working on a project that continues to get extended.

No comments: