Thursday, November 20, 2008

Shopping Meltdown

Even Target, my hometown discounter, has succumbed to the retail doldrums. It's entirely my fault; they used to get a large portion of my income, especially when they were owned by the former Daytons Department Stores. Daytons is no longer, and Target, well, Target is no longer the store of my childhood but instead has been redesigned as SuperTarget.

For anyone with a long-term view of the TwinCities area, SuperTarget is nothing but Holiday Village, without the massive sporting goods section. Holiday Village was a discount store with groceries and massive sporting goods (gone now, even from Wikipedia). The sporting goods portion is now Gander Mountain and the Holiday Gas Stations are the only entity remaining with the Holiday name.

Daytons and Target taught me to love using credit. I miss Daytons from an emotional standpoint, especially at this time of year. We used to go downtown the day after Thanksgiving and the day after Christmas, to shop the sales. Now? No.

No comments: