Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Confidentiality Erosion

Confidentiality seems to be eroding with all the different services encouraging people to remain in constant communication. Work/home lines are blurred as people have devices with them and are in steady communication, whether by text, twitter or social networking site, paying no attention as they leave home or work to whether their subject matter also transitions.

I'm not in a situation in which I have a texting device, and in fact, for all my phone envy, I use it as an actual phone only. I hope to keep my phone going for another year or so, failing that, will hope that my backup phone will work for me for a good, long time.

Because I don't text, I don't twitter. I also don't myspace, facebook or yaari, though I'm on Linked In. I have job description and accomplishments in my profile and post generally what I'm doing, but don't think I cross the confidentiality line by any stretch of the imagination.

I'll never be the one to get busted on You Tube; partly because I don't commit crimes, film myself or be filmed acting stupidly; these days, the newest category of which I've heard is medical school applicants whose Facebook photos are to their detriment.

My project periodically hammers home the idea of confidentiality to the utmost degree, which is fine as I've never considered mentioning more than just generally the type of law covered in the case. And patent law covers a lot of ground so no way of knowing the real subject.

No comments: