Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Lessons our Grandparents Learned from the Great Depression

Our grandparents and great-grandparents learned a lot about thrift during the Great Depression. Recently there have been articles in which they interview people who lived through the Depression. They're the people who wanted their children to have a better life; they bought tract housing in the 50's and tried to make sure their children had all the advantages. And so on, until we're all conditioned to beleive we should have what we want. Now. No matter what.

They themselves lived with great frugality, using what they had, saving money, paying cash. Re-using plastic containers from the deli or whipped topping, instead of buying Tupperware or Rubbermaid containers. My grandma washed out plastic sandwich bags for re-use. And saved tinfoil, which she washed for later use.

For most of us, our lifestyle is a world away from that. We buy new, all the time, on credit, and go out to eat. Unless we order takeout. Now we're in for a national reality check.

Because I've tried to cut back the last couple of years, I'm not sure what else I can do to change my habits. The real issue is whether I'm motivated to make additional changes in spending. I haven't been going out much, and when I do, it's for a low-cost happy hour or the chinese buffet. I don't need anything so don't go to the mall much; I go to the grocery store, occasionally to the big box discounter, to the drugstore and to the thriftstore. I'm trying to deplete my supply of unread books, but haven't been making too much progress lately.

Recently I had a coupon from Walgreen's e-mail for $5 off a purchase of $20 or more. There always seems to be something I need there, so that was a good deal; I've been paying more attention to their sales and am surprised at the random merchandise sold there.


No comments: