Saturday, November 22, 2008

Networking While Volunteering

They say that you can still get a job in a bad economy, but it's more difficult; then again, they say you can't get a job around the holidays and that happens too.

I think the important thing is to pretend to still have hope, and talk to strangers. Seriously. I've had better luck getting useful information from complete strangers at CLE's and any other type of meeting possible than I have had with people I know or with well-meaning people at organized networking groups.

I've also been told that a good place to network is volunteering and actually know people who got jobs in their fields (other than law) by volunteering. I would think it could happen in law as well; I've been encouraged to volunteer for something in which I'm completely disinterested as a way of getting to know people and perhaps getting a job. Doing something that would be very unsuitable for me.

If you volunteer for something you believe in, you'll be in the best position; you're already working with a group with which you have common ground and have the opportunity to meet staff and to meet other volunteers who have values in common with you.

I've identified a couple of non-profits, in which I'm interested; however, this may not be a good time to do more than to volunteer. In the long run, it might help me to achieve my goals, but in the short run, I know it's going to help me learn more about organizations in which I'm interested and to increase my circle of acquaintances.

No comments: