Monday, November 10, 2008

Holiday Decorations

Holiday decorations are great! If you're in a place where you need or can afford them. Some things aren't too expensive or are on sale before the Holidays. I think you can buy outdoor decorations everywhere but at your local dry cleaner. That'll be next year. One tactic is to buy one item a year before the holiday and to buy more afterwards when they're half price. Of course, if you go to Walgreens or K-Mart, that can be the day of the holiday.

People like the Griswolds, who are very enthusiastic about their decorations will wait until after the holiday, but not when decorations are 50% off. They wait until after New Year's Day, when decorations are 90% off. And buy everything. I once worked for someone who decorated to excess every Christmas. He bought new lights at 90% off. Since then, more types of ornamentation have developed and I would expect that he also buys those when they're 90% off. Apparently stores don't pay so much for their merchandise because at one time someone who had managed a retail store told me that she only bought clothes when they were 90% off.

While I like a good deal, I wouldn't advocate waiting until things are 90% off because the only things remaining are the things nobody else wanted. I'd prefer to buy things I actually like that fit me. If I found something I liked and that fit, sure I'd buy it at 90% off. I just wouldn't start at that price point.

No comments: