Saturday, January 10, 2009

Winter Food

During Winter, comfort food is important to me, whether it's macaroni and cheese (easy to make at from scratch) or something that takes more time and ingredients. I tend to make pots of jambalaya and pans of cannelloni and freeze some. Right after Christmas, I made a big pot of ham and barley soup from my mom's recipe. That hit the spot perfectly.

Cooking is a nice warm activity; when I was a kid, my mom would tell me to bake something if I complained of the cold. I did and it worked; in addition to the heat from the oven, the activity of assembling and mixing the ingredients helped me warm up. We always left the oven open a bit after turning it off so as not to waste the heat.

Winter cooking can sometimes feel boring as there are no fresh and exotic ingredients available on the tundra, but there are a lot of fresh ideas.


No comments: