Sunday, January 4, 2009

Printing Money

I'm not so good as an economist, or my finances wouldn't be in the state in which they are; however, I've done pretty well at getting my consumer debt paid off. It's gone and will stay gone, until such time in the future as I need a different car or am able to qualify for a mortgage. Yet the Feds are printing money like there's no tomorrow, under the theory that if they don't, there will be no tomorrow. I hope it works!

It's increasingly scary out there; I recently learned that the two contractors with whom I worked last year in corporate America have ended their stint at the company; the department is no longer working with contractors. They're out on the street looking for work now and I don't know if there's much out there. For me, it means that being cut first, while it was unpleasant, was actually to my benefit; I was off nearly two months, worked on another project, and left just as it was winding down. I've heard from other contractors, and it seems that there's less work out there.

I'm quite happy to have landed somewhere for the relatively long-term, that comes with an array of benefits. I like my supervisor and department and hope that something permanent opens up for me.


No comments: