Thursday, January 1, 2009

The Economy, What am I doing to Wreck it?

According to the New York Times, I'm the problem with part of the economy. It seems that I'm sabotaging publishers and booksellers by a) buying used books, which detracts from the economic viability of 1) Publishers, 2) Bookstores and 3) Authors.

Every used book that I buy harms the bottom line of the publisher, as they have no sale; the bookstore as it also has no sale, and the author, who doesn't get a royalty from the book I buy on the secondary market.

Bookstores are having trouble because they have online competition and people no longer have to go to a physical location to buy a book...which is all well and good, but it only works if you know what book you want to buy.

Apparently buying used books from random sources, such as my typical source, a thrift store, is selfish and bad policy as the resulting loss of income is currently affecting publishers, who are closing divisions and buying fewer new properties; bookstores, which are closing in droves and authors, who will have no market for their new titles and will need to go out and get a job, which will be impossible now that the economy has imploded.

I guess I have no choice but to perform my patriotic duty and go buy books.


No comments: