Thursday, January 29, 2009

Mid-Winter Safety Check

I know that not everyone lives in a Winter state and that Spring, in theory, should be coming soon. We'll know in a few days, when we find out what the Groundhog does.

Meanwhile, it's below zero again here and is going to be that way for a few days. I had a run-in with black ice last weekend; despite not driving fast on a city street, headed down a hill, I made approximately a 120 degree turn and ended up more-or-less perpendicular to the street on which I was driving. My tires are properly inflated and are new as of a few months ago. I didn't hit anything and nothing hit me; someone else drove into a snowbank, and I have no way of knowing whether it was from hitting ice or avoiding me.

Right now I have a full tank of gas and in order to avoid a frozen fuel line have always filled at a quarter tank. I work for someone who is completely reasonable and doesn't care if I'm late in the morning due to traffic, so long as I call once I figure it out and make it up by staying late that day or working longer another day during the pay period. That helps a lot because while I try to leave early enough to get to work on time, it doesn't always happen that way.

I make sure my fluids are topped off, get my oil changed regularly and carry extra wiper fluid and oil with me. I also have winter things in my trunk, such as jumper cables, a blanket, shovel and other random emergency items.

Be careful out there!


No comments: