Friday, January 30, 2009

Cutting Back on Buying

The big question lately is whether Americans will change their consumption habits and continue to cut back. When I say "continue" I mean on a long-term basis. Will we stop buying everything immediately and going out to eat all the time for the future, or is this a temporary setback from which we'll revert once the economy improves? Right now, there's no way of knowing.

I don't think I'll continue with the consumerist behavior, simply because I had cut way back before the economy imploded. I have a bunch of books to read, needlepoint to work on and have to wait for my eyes to get straightened out first. I'm on an austerity program, probably until Easter so I can get some bills taken care of.

The convenience store gift card I referenced earlier will take care of filling my gas tank through President's Day so long as gas prices don't rise a lot in the next three weeks. That helps a lot as the only unfixed expenses I have are gas, food and my cellphone. The gas card means that I can devote another $100 to paying on one of my bills. That's huge!


No comments: