Monday, January 26, 2009

Vision

I'm happy to have vision coverage with my health insurance, so was interested to read about how expensive it is to see; my co-pay is under $20 but in the past, when I haven't had coverage, I've paid a ton of money just to get my eyes checked. I'm very nearsighted and have always gone to an opthamologist; in the past I have had the start of a torn retina so I'd have made the switch by now anyway. An optometrist, once having noticed the tear, would've had to send me to the opthamologist for treatment.

Because my eyes are special, I paid a lot for the new lenses for which I'm currently waiting. I know I'll get what I need with the eyecare place at my opthamologist's office. I'm very nearsighted and have had trouble transitioning between close and distance so it was no surprise to learn that I need glasses that can compensate. My opthamologist recommends progressive lenses, which he says are the best, therefore, I have ordered them.

Meanwhile, I'm working with the contact lens tech, who hasn't yet come up with a prescription that works for me. She's sending new samples for me, but since I got eyestrain from the last set, I'm not optimistic. Her other idea, not realizing, or perhaps not caring, that my day is spent in front of a computer or book, is that I can throw on a pair of readers for the close work. If I need to wear readers all day, where is the advantage of contact lenses?

The other interesting part of the article was the reference to the same place in India to buy glasses. I'm still considering sunglasses for which I wouldn't get progressive lenses.

No comments: