Thursday, January 8, 2009

Commuting in the Snow

Since we're in a nice old-fashioned Winter, commuting has been a bit ugly. We have a lot of snow and have had bunches of it during rush hour, which makes commuting less enjoyable than normal.

Happily, after my first few days, I was able to trade in my original assignment in a surface-lot several blocks up a hill from where I work for a more expensive, more convenient option in the ramp behind the building in which I work. They assign parking by floor of ramp and I'm in the middle; I hope to move to the next lower floor soon, after which I'll be able to apply for the most convenient floor.

Why haven't I done so already? Well, this is government and the rules don't say you can't, but the parking office won't allow it. On the other hand, it's convenient and costs far less than taking the bus or parking downtown. I did have a subsidized bus card option but, as mentioned before, it was quite inconvenient to take the bus; in addition, the bus to this location doesn't run as much, so it's less convenient that way as well.

No comments: