Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Downward Mobility

While I don't expect any changes in my finances soon, I see that a lot of people are downwardly mobile. Some people have always brought lunch to work, and will always do so unless they have specific plans to go out; others are trading down to cheaper lunch spots or bringing lunch a few days a week.

When I was younger, I hadn't caught on to the financial drain of buying lunch so would only rarely bring my lunch. Now I realize that I have better control of my finances when I spend a finite amount of money at the grocery store. Then again, I used to spend a lot of money on Diet Coke, but am not the only one to stop. I have teabags at work but also drink a lot of water.

People in a higher income bracket than mine are cutting back as well; I think of a high school friend whose father was a pilot. The great tragedy in her life, at a time when people with lesser incomes were scrambling to pay the mortgage and buy groceries, was that their boat (44ft yacht) had to be moved from one sunny island to a cheaper sunny island because they couldn't afford the marina fees. In my world, that's like Lovey and Thurston Howell III trading down to domestic Champagne.

Unimaginable to me.

No comments: