Sunday, August 3, 2008

Stockpiling Products

I mentioned that I had faltered and purchased the trash bags that I prefer; I have now used the remainder of the nearly-finished roll that I found after purchasing the other and two from one of the other rolls. They're about the same size so I need to pick one and use it up. One is more crinkly plastic so I should try to get rid of those first, as they're downright annoying.

I'm trying to get better at making a list and adhering to it when I go to the store so as to avoid having massive stockpiles of products. I know people are stockpiling food more than they used to; in particular I remember reading about rice being rationed at the big box club stores several months ago, and that was before all the press about countries stockpiling food. While I know that small businesses sometimes get their supplies at the club stores, I don't know whether there was a correlation or whether it's about types of rice available only in small quantities. I do know that my grocery store has a much wider array of rice than they did when I was a child and that the Oriental grocery stores carry many more varieties. To me, rice is rice. That isn't true of everyone. Some people can tell one type of rice from another.

The only food-related items I have in large quantity are condiments, dried herbs, spices and cake/cookie decorating stuff. I don't have any particular condiment stockpiled, but seem to have too vast an array thereof; I have all kinds of marinades and random things that seemed like a good idea when I bought them, but since I still have them, unopened, maybe it wasn't such a good idea. Right now I'm working on my raspberry cocktail sauce. I need to eat more shrimp to make sure I use it. The trick seems to be to use one product and make it go away, then replace it only in the event of immediate need.

One thing I didn't pay close enough attention to is razor blades. I have three boxes of refill cartridges for my razor. Won't need those for awhile. I'm still working on depleting my existing stockpiles of bath products and am likely to be doing so for a long time. The good thing is that I didn't have to worry about buying anything besides food and gas when I wasn't working. The bad thing is that I spent a lot of money prematurely.

No comments: