Saturday, August 9, 2008

Corporate Webpages

Some corporate webpages make everything easy, others resemble Dante's Circles of Hell. I just viewed a page to remain nameless and it took some digging to find their search page.

One thing I don't like is the need to register, creating a username and password; if it was possible to create one username and password to use with all corporate career pages, I'd be much happier. Requirements vary so it's difficult to remember the information. One thing I do appreciate is the sites that allow you to use either your username or e-mail address together with your password. This works out well except when there's a system glitch that insists the e-mail address doesn't exist in their system. And five minutes later e-mails a password reset page. Because apparently the e-mail address was in the system. Whether the system wanted to admit it or not!

By then I had called the help desk and had spoken with two representatives who didn't understand the problem. Yes, I had eventually received the password reset information, but there is a system glitch that needs to be fixed. I'm sure it still isn't fixed because they just didn't get it; their sphere of influence is likely narrow and the information I provided was outside the scope thereof.

It's not so bad when the requirement is to upload and send a cover letter and resume; it's when in-depth information is required that I become frustrated; chances are good that I won't find another job to apply for at this corporation until after my profile has been deleted in a year or so. And I'll just have to re-invent the wheel. I don't enjoy adding project after project to a profile for their convenience.

Such is the life of an unemployed attorney.

No comments: