Tuesday, August 26, 2008

On Groceries, Trash Bags and Tea

On my way home from the CLE, I noticed a Big Lots and had to stop. Why? I like Carr's Water Crackers, which are now $3.49 at my local grocery store and cost $1 at Big Lots. There isn't a store near me, so I had to stop. I had also bought tea there before, which cost $2 for a tin of 50 teabags. While I'm trying not to stockpile things, and use the tea I have, some opportunities just can't be missed.



Big Lots is another store with a random selection of items. I'm not sure where they get their merchandise but they have some furniture, random housewares, gardening supplies, automotive and tools, along with beauty supplies and food. It seems like a good place to go if you need to set up housekeeping; you won't find everything there, but many of the items are sold at a good price. As with any other discount store, it pays to be aware of pricing. I found a car charger for my cellphone for $5, which was good as my other one no longer works. While I plan to keep the phone awhile yet, it seemed silly to pay $20 for a new one when one of these days I'll break down and get a different phone. My phone provider keeps e-mailing me information on special deals and new phones. I don't use the phone that much that I've bitten yet.



I ended up buying random things; various crackers, including five boxes of Carr's Water Crackers, chocolate covered almonds, five tins of tea. Last time I was at a Big Lots, they didn't have the tea I liked and the time before I had purchased only one tin. I like English Breakfast Tea and the box at home was getting low; it was from Trader Joe's and had cost $3.49 several months ago.



I like Aveda Rosemary Mint Conditioner, but don't feel like I should spend the money on such expensive products, so sprung for a bottle of some other brand Rosemary Mint. I think it had cost $6 each for shampoo and conditioner. Worth trying at that price. I haven't tried it yet because I'm not through my current product.



When I went through the paper and plastic aisle, I realized that this store was the point of origin for one of my boxes of trash bags. I walked right on by; I have now gotten through the ones I don't like, and recently started using the ones I bought at Target. It was difficult not to use them before I was through the others, but I'm glad I waited. If I hadn't I'd still have the ones I don't like. Now they're gone.

No comments: