Sunday, August 24, 2008

Ethics and CLE's

Because we're a self-reporting state and not all CLE's take attendance, there remains a possibility that attorneys will claim more credits than actually attending. It would definitely be tempting at the end of a reporting period to do so, especially if one miscalculates. Some CLE's still take attendance and send out certificates of attendance.



I don't know how likely it is that anyone would over-report; I would expect it to be most likely that people would leave a CLE early and claim the entire time, not necessarily on purpose, but most CLE's aren't approved at the time they occur, so it would be easy to forget that one left a bit early.



I wanted to leave my recent CLE early because it took place in a suburb that's a bit of a distance from where I live, but because I want all the credits, I forced myself to stay the entire time.

No comments: