Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Other Types of Emergencies

The emergency I'm most likely to have during summer is weather-related. When the thermometer gets to the high 80's, I sometimes declare an emergency and go to Dairy Queen.

I don't do well in hot weather, to the extent that others notice and question my well-being. I tend to get overheated pretty easily, presumably a result of second-degree sunburns when I was younger; I've had trouble with heat and sun since then.

I have air conditioning everywhere, so unless I'm outside, it shouldn't be a big deal. When it gets too hot though, no matter how much water I drink to remain hydrated, I sometimes stay overheated. On those days, it really does help to go get ice cream. It took me a long time to realize I needed to drink about three liters of water daily when it starts getting hot out. When I consistently do so, I feel much better.

In any case, it's good to make certain you're taking in enough water in hot weather. And it has the added benefit of making your brain work better. Someone loaned me a tape to listen to before I took the bar exam. I remember that water has a positive effect, as does making figure-8 motions. So I would make figure-8's with my feet and hands at the beginning of each portion of the test. I passed the first time; whether or not the tape had anything to do with it, I have no idea.

No comments: