Monday, September 8, 2008

Financial Miscalculations

While I calculated in the cost of most of life when I determined how much money I could devote to my targeted loan, I neglected to include the cost of gifts. In August I had a birthday and bridal shower to take care of, which is fine, I've been really good about spending and only drive if I must; however, September and October will take a bit more thoughtfulness as I don't know how long I'll be working. I went to Target with my mom and sister to choose shower gifts. Then we went to the Dollar Store for cards and paper; my gift is placemats that are shiny and a bit glitzy, so I opted to roll them up and tie them with ribbon from the wedding section of the dollar store.

I have three birthdays and a wedding to deal with in the next two months; birthdays aren't so bad as I have most of the gifts. Wedding gift will be purchased whenever my mom, sister and I can coordinate our schedules; we go as a group and discuss pros and cons, along with wondering about some of the items chosen. We bought wedding paper though I'm sure my mom has some in her big, giant stash of wrapping paper that we're trying to deplete.

All-in-all, I'm not doing too bad with reining in my spending; I did feel like I had gone on a shopping binge but that was because of a couple of gifts, clearance linen capris and getting cash back at the store rather than making the trek to an ATM for which I don't have to pay a fee. I used to have to go to a couple of places I never went, like K-Mart or one of the local billiards halls in order to use an ATM without a fee; now I can go to Target or a drug store, but really, why bother making a separate trip if I can take care of it during a transaction?

No comments: