Friday, July 18, 2008

The Summer Office Frigidaire

So many people are uncomfortable in an office in the summertime due to the excessive cold created by air conditioners. It always seems much worse in a document review situation, due to the sedentary nature of the work, and possible long hours.



Since the temperature is never going to be adjusted, the best bets are to dress in layers to accommodate any temperature changes; like not roasting on the way to work, and not turning into a block of ice while working. In college, I worked two jobs for the summer and ended up carrying two changes of clothes with me a lot of the time; I work Outfit A to Job 1; changed into Outfit B to fit requirements for Job 2 and wore Outfit 3 after work. I needed a change of clothes, whether I was going out or straight home. By now, most people who work in offices have figured out what they need to do to maintain a reasonable internal temperature.



Drinking warm beverages can help. Brits drink tea all year round; the summer theory is that your internal and external temperatures should be the same. I don't know about that, but while I drink more water during the summer months, I do drink tea all year round.

2 comments:

Lawdrone said...

I worked on a project last summer that was set particularly cold because there were so many people in the room. However, when the inevitable cuts came, the thermostat didn't change. I ended up bringing a zip-up sweater most days. You just need to make sure you're coming back before you decide to leave it!

Freeloader Attorney said...

They'd have had to tell bldg. maintenance/management to change it and most likely nobody thought of it. I was on a project for nearly a year and didn't even leave a sweater; I was cut and was actually supposed to return a week later, to the same desk (corporation) and took everything (lotion, coffee mug, lip balm, coaster) with me as well as shredding all paper from prior project. The person walking me out saw that I had a few things and told me I could've left them. Good I didn't because that next project got canceled.