Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Complacency

The mistake I made on the project from which I was cut was complacency; the atmosphere wasn't bad, the work was a cut above most document review projects and it was long-term. I fell into the trap of expecting my paycheck to continue.

Now I'm making up for it by learning to use RSS feeds for automatic receipt of job postings, both as an attorney and a couple of other, related job titles in which I have some experience. I have done some work in contracts and some in compliance and would be happy doing either on a full-time basis. The trick is to find someone who is willing to train and who believes my education would be a good fit with that type of work at their corporation.

I don't really understand RSS feeds but experimented both with that on Google Reader, because it's there, and having things sent directly to my inbox. In some ways Google Reader is better because the job search stuff isn't cluttering up my inbox; on the other hand, I don't know if I'll have access to Google Reader when I'm working. Most of the time it's possible to at least scan e-mail during the workday. I usually end up opening it and reading one or two messages. I tend to wait to respond until I'm home, unless I'm making plans for after work. It's a lot less disruptive to send a quick e-mail than to take a call, since that tends to involve walking away from ones computer, along with setting the screen saver and depending on circumstances, logging out of a program.

No comments: