Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Brown Bagging it

Here's an article on Brown Bag Lunches, intended for those sending kids to daycamp. It's full of a lot of great suggestions beyond the traditional PB&J. Or, in my case, PB. Because why would I want jelly on a sandwich, anyway? Even stranger? The people who put butter on their peanut butter sandwiches.

I did literally spend two years of my life eating the same thing for lunch nearly every day; Monday through Friday, anyway. When I was in Kindergarten and the year before, the neighbor babysat me. I was a picky eater as was her son. She wasn't an inventive chef so we had variations on the same lunch every day. Not much in the way of variety: half a peanut butter sandwich on white bread; half an apple or half a pear occasionally interrupted by apple sauce; potato chips, pretzels or fritos; cottage cheese; two no-name sandwich cookies, one chocolate, one vanilla; a glass of milk. The other major variation was when their grandma was in town and we had whole peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. That was my lunch for two years.

Which explains why I can bring the same or similar group of foods for lunch every day: turkey and swiss on whole wheat, sometimes ham instead; fruit, depending on season, lately has been strawberries and melon. Most of the time I drink tea and water. I frequently bring yogurt and a banana for breakfast.

No comments: