Sunday, July 13, 2008

In case of Emergency

One thing to have is a can opener. You know, the old-fashioned kind that isn't battery operated, enough water for each person for 3-5 days and yes, the amount varies, depending on your source for disaster advice. They also recommend canned goods and other non-perishables; I assume that those pouches of tuna are canned goods. They're like canned goods anyway!

My sister, who is far more concerned with emergencies than I'll ever be, has a copy of Apocalypse Chow, which is one of many disaster-themed cookbooks. Part of her disaster preparedness includes stockpiling ingredients for its recipes. She also has one of the weather radios that are sold at grocery stores here; presumably so when you stock up on non-perishables, you can buy a radio as well. It's the one that the local weatherguy said would've been helpful in that big tornado in Florida last year, the one that happened overnight. You program it for the county in which you live and it goes off when there's bad weather. I don't have one. My sister calls my cellphone when she thinks I'm in the vicinity of bad weather. Why should I worry when she takes care of it?

The last time the power went out it was bedtime, so I went to sleep. When the lights came on, I turned them off. The time before I was at my mom's house and we went out to dinner. My sister was with us so we had to stop and buy flashlights. By the time we returned to my mom's house the lights were on and we all went about our business after that. So you can see that I have no need whatsoever to worry. My sister worries enough for all of us. And probably enough for you.

I don't have an emergency plan, either, but am not terribly concerned. The type of natural disasters we're likely to have don't require me to have mobility or a stockpile of food and water.

No comments: