Thursday, July 3, 2008

Rising Gas Prices

Where I live, gas is just about at the $4.00 mark. The fact that it isn't higher is most likely due to the machines not being calibrated for prices over $3.99. When they get new software or compatible machinery, that's going to change.



I know someone who works at a convenience store and one of the things they have to watch for is drive-offs. Some employees are more diligent about asking if people have gas than others; that's one way to get people to pay. I had previously heard stories about someone who covered a license plate, the better to drive off, and another driver who took the plates off altogether. One problem is that some convenience stores don't report to the cops immediately, which makes it more difficult to catch the drivers.



When I read that more drivers are switching to stolen plates for drive-offs, I had an "a-ha!" moment. Last year, in January, I had gone to listen to a band, and had parked my dad's truck in the wrong place. I didn't see the sign, which is fine. That's a $34 ticket and my own stupidity. The other ticket was $106, for not having both license plates. What? Sure enough, the license plate, including holder, was gone. I found out what I had to do, which was first get replacement plates, so I did. Got a replacement holder too, which was $40! Then I had to report the plates stolen and was told I had to turn in the remaining plate to the police. Fine. I can do that. I contacted my suburban cops and the officer gave me a card with a case number on it in the event that the city had any issues with my story. He told me that the front plates are stolen all the time. So I went to traffic court and took a number. When it was my turn I explained what happened and was asked what I had done about the plates. I said replaced them, reported them stolen and was told if I hadn't, if anyone ran my plates and stopped me, they'd have their weapons drawn.



Fast forward a year. Same truck. Same city, but this time my brother, house sitting for a friend, comes outside in the morning to find a hefty ticket and missing license plate. Same routine of new plates, report the old ones stolen. This time, nobody cares, wants the license plate or provides a case number. Fortunately the people who can wave their magic wands and make the ticket go away don't care about that and made the ticket disappear.



What are the chances? While I had known that people steal license plates, I had never personally known of anyone whose plates had been stolen. Then twice in just over a year plates were stolen from the same truck. Pretty amazing! This time, instead of buying a new license plate holder, my brother simply attached the front plate with picture-hanging wire, since that's what his friend had lying around.



For those of you who drive in states which require both license plates, check the front daily so you don't get any surprises. While ultimately we weren't responsible for either ticket, getting replacement plates, putting them on the vehicle and getting the ticket taken care of are time-consuming and annoying. Hopefully this will never happen to you.

No comments: