Wednesday, July 16, 2008

New CLE Reporting Period

It's July, and where I live, that means a new reporting period has started. I have three years to come up with 45 credits, three of which must be Ethics, two of which must be Elimination of Bias. The first one is tomorrow; I mentioned it previously, it's put on by a big firm and designed for their clients. I got lucky on this one and am now on their invite list.

Last year, this one ended earlier; this year it goes all day and ends with a cocktail hour. I plan to avoid the bitchy ladies this time and will look for a table full of guys to sit with. Hopefully that's an option, as this topic may well attract more female clients. Either way, it's free and I plan to start taking CLE's early so I don't end up paying a big bunch of money for my CLE's this time.

Initially I thought I should try to get all my credits for free during this reporting period; however, one of the better networking opportunities requires a payment. I've had good luck chatting with people at the morning CLE's at my law school. They average about one a month, cost $10 and include a little breakfast; it's usually sweet rolls, muffins, fruit, coffee and orange juice. The downside is that if I'm working downtown I end up paying more for parking that day because there's no way to avoid driving.

Topics vary and most presenters are also professors. Parking is easy to find at that hour of the morning, though waking up early enough to go can be a challenge. I know from past experience that I can decide to go at the last minute and write a check at the door. It seems easier to force myself to go if I pay in advance. Occasionally they'll have a free CLE in the evening, but I've missed a couple of those for lack of attention. Definitely worth going to, even at one credit per.

By starting this early, I can space out CLE's and will have no need to panic; I was a bit distraught this spring as one of my free lunches took place in January but didn't show for credit until the middle of May. By that point I had given up on it and had attended a CLE that was one credit more than I needed. Better safe than sorry!


No comments: