Monday, July 28, 2008

Bottled Water

The people who market bottled water are evil geniuses. People are paying excessive amounts of money for a product they get at their own home for much less money. While I notice variations in water regularly, I usually drink filtered water at home and prefer that my water taste like nothing. As I work on this post, I have a glass of water by my side.

My glass of water, while filtered, originated in the city water system and was filtered and chilled through the refrigerator. The water in this city is perfectly safe, but I don't like the taste of what comes directly from the tap. Today I received a water-quality update from the city, and didn't read it. I'm completely unconcerned with what it has to say; if there was any type of water quality issue, it would be all over the news and we'd be told not to drink the water. Because that hasn't happened, I'm confident the water is just fine.

I try to bring a glass or refillable bottle with me when I go places, to avoid mass-produced bottled water, which is bad for the environment. While I'm not convinced that anything I do has much of an overall effect, I still try to pay attention to environmental issues. Right now cases of 24 bottles of store-brand water are on sale two for $7. A couple years ago, the same cases went on sale two for $9.

It's impossible to eliminate use of convenience products altogether, but I try to minimize; I happened to have an errand across town recently, near one of my favorite restaurants and got an order to go. I asked for water and was given the option of bottle or glass. I took the glass, which seemed a bit better than the bottle; it too had been shipped in from somewhere, but because it's a local restaurant, the glass may have been manufactured locally.

Water is bottled in several locations near here, so locally branded water might not be as bad as imports. Yet it's so difficult to cut out the convenience altogether; this year, save the trip to the family reunion, I haven't bought cases of bottled water at all. I have sometimes purchased individual bottles if I wasn't in a position to bring water with me, for example, to the airport or when working off-site when I had no control of the circumstances. Otherwise, if away from home, I try to remember my refillable bottle. There are still a lot of water fountains out there. If I'm running errands near home, I tend to bring a glass of water with me.




1 comment:

Michelle said...

Excellent post, and I totally agree: bottled water is an illogical trend.

What's worse is that this bottled water reliance is alienating us further from the tap. And if we continue on this path, our system will begin to neglect our own municipal water supplies and infrastructures, so we will be forced to rely on bottled water for all our water needs. =/

thinkoutsidethebottle.org is an excellent site that addresses this issue - I urge you to check it out!