Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Networking with other Contract Attorneys

I once worked on a large document review where someone had the bright idea to start a weekly networking group. Amongst ourselves. In theory, it's a great idea; in practice? A bit strange.

There were many problems with the whole scenario; we didn't know each other and were all in the same basic career. While I realize that if you get 50 attorneys in a room, you're likely to have 50 different ideal jobs; however, when you have 50 contract attorneys in a room, you're more likely to have people who would apply for and accept the same position. That's the problem.

The idea didn't go beyond a few meetings, in part because of the competitive aspect, in part because people had different ideas about what we should do. One attorney floated the idea of making a list of our names and contact information, together with areas of interest; anyone hearing of a position in someone else's area of interest should alert that person. It seemed like that would take more time than is realistic to devote to someone else's job search.

Me? I need to spend more time worrying about how I'm going to generate income for myself than for the next guy. As previously stated, I do tell people about document reviews and projects of that nature, simply because if I'm working or applying for that project, it doesn't hurt me to share with others. With regard to smaller projects or individual positions? Not a chance I'd tell if I'm interested myself. If I see something that's not right for me and think it might appeal to one of my friends? Sure, I'd forward it.

No comments: