Saturday, June 14, 2008

Credit Score

Now that I got over my bad credit angst, I actually did go ahead and apply for a credit card. Only after I asked the guy whether, with my credit score, it was even a possibility. It was much easier to apply for the card knowing that I'd be approved for a certain amount of credit. Because the amount I was pre-approved for based on my credit score was relatively small, I asked for a higher line of credit. And got it. While my credit score isn't perfect, I hope to use this card responsibly to help improve my score, while I continue with my master plan to take over the world. Or get my debt under control. The card arrived yesterday and has yet to be activated.

Because I no longer have consumer debt, I'm a little anxious about the credit card, but plan to leave it home most of the time. I have one planned purchase that's a modest couple hundred dollars and will pay that off over several months. My credit card? Will live in a drawer. Because I'm focused on reducing my debt and improving my credit score, I'm not terribly concerned about going wild with consumer debt so no need to freeze it in a block of ice like some people. My current focus is improving my credit rating by reducing debt. Due to volume of debt I don't have a projected end date, though every paid loan will help.

I know of and am acquainted with others who make me look fiscally responsible and my debt appear to be miniscule. In addition to those whose blogs include dollar amounts of existing or paid debt, there are articles detailing debt as the American Way of Life. No longer do we only buy what we can pay for as was done prior to WWII; now entire lives are financed with borrowed money.

Who can forget the girl who got herself deep into debt and solicited donations from strangers as a way out. One of her debt reduction suggestions is to make payments every week. That's exactly what I do with the currently targeted loan in order to make sure I pay more. If I pay online every payday I'm less likely to divert funds for other uses.

No comments: