Wednesday, June 25, 2008

More on Networking

Now that my monitor has been replaced and the keyboard convinced to play too, I'm back online. I was online minimally the last few days, which is not a way to be when job-hunting. I had social obligations as well, so am not likely to have been online terribly much more, but it's much different to be offline by choice than inability to connect.

My CLE Thursday, as I mentioned, wasn't terribly helpful as far as meeting people, but the information was excellent! That firm has engaging speakers so it was no hardship to sit and listen to the presentations. The loot we were given included a nice pen with the firm logo; I believe I previously mentioned the big, giant book of information with matching CD as well as the firm logo-ed shoulder bag.

The presentation and array of food were scaled back this year; last year was the first time the seminar was presented and they had two simultaneous topics, breakfast and snack buffet in a different area and lunch in yet another room. This year there were four events hosted by other companies taking place at the same time; this firm split its presentations and will be hosting a CLE on the other subject-matter on another occasion.

Coffee, tea, orange juice, rolls, bagels, muffins and a case of water, lemonade, pop, energy drinks and green tea were outside the room; at break time the orange juice had been replaced with iced tea and fruit had been added to the remaining rolls, bagels and muffins. We were at round tables this year and had a lunch buffet which was in the same place the breakfast and snacks had been.

The lunch buffet was amazing: salad with craisins and walnuts; pasta salad; chilled grilled carrots, string beans, zucchini and mushrooms; rainbow trout and salmon; roast beef; I can't tell you how many kinds of cheese; three or four types of bread and squash soup. There was a vast array of desserts featuring miniature eclairs and cream puffs; apple pie; tiramisu and a chocolate ganache torte.

The Friday morning session of an all-day free CLE, in contrast, had regular and decaf coffee, water and three kinds of juice. They give you a bound information book to go with the seminar. It's a great class and how often do you find a free, all-day CLE directed toward the masses? It was 6.5 credits in my state and was also registered in a neighboring state.

I left before the final speaker of the morning to meet someone for lunch. I was excited because my lunch companion paid, which wasn't my objective; I also have the name and phone number of one contact and am expecting contact information for someone at a company in which I'm interested.

It was a much better day, despite my decision not to bother trying to network after my abysmal failure the day before. Next time will no doubt be better!

No comments: