Friday, June 27, 2008

Diverse Philosophies on Sending Resumes

I was too complacent on that last project so not nearly paying enough attention to sending resumes and networking. I've sent a few resumes today and started thinking about attitude. If there's a reasonable way to follow up, I do; if not, I don't worry too much about it. My resume is in as good a state as I can get it right now. I need to revamp it and create a functional resume, which will probably take awhile. Meanwhile I have a fairly decent resume.

Everyone has a different philosophy about applying for jobs; one of my friends views it as a hobby. She's in a position where companies will fly her in for an interview, so she gets a free trip to wherever, a good dinner and gets to learn about a new job and corporation. Since she has a job that she likes pretty well, she doesn't have to worry about whether they actually make the offer. Wouldn't it be nice if it was like that for all of us?

I've known others who are pretty much opposite of that; first, is the person who sees an ad for the perfect job and applies. While she follows up on that job, her mistake is in focusing on that job to the exclusion of all else. Until she receives a response on that position, she doesn't even look for other options. On average, that wastes at least six weeks. Assuming you receive a response at some point. We all want the perfect job, but meanwhile, what about the job that isn't perfect but would put you in a better position to obtain the job of your dreams? Not all dream jobs can be attained in one step. Many of us forget that.

Still another example is someone who applies for jobs and is way overqualified. That happens. But is it any reason to send a rejection letter telling the company how insulting it is that they'd interview for that job and not a higher-level position? Because I heard that out of the horse's mouth. This person had worked in steadily lower-level positions, was over 50 and was very negative. Due to conversation on other topics, I think those companies were very lucky to have been rejected by their candidate; in my opinion, the trouble with this candidate is the extreme negativity, which pervades every conversation. Because I have insufficient history with this person, I have no idea whether the negativity has been there all along, or has increased as the prestige and pay scale have decreased. Either way, this is someone with whom I no longer associate; it's way too draining to spend time with people who are that negative. So I do my best not to.

No comments: