Saturday, June 28, 2008

Avoiding Bitterness

I could be bitter about so many things right now but am doing my best to move forward. Bitterness won't help me at all and could hurt me in the long run.

I read part of Deepak Chopra's The Spontaneous Fulfillment of Desire: Harnessing the Infinite Power of Coincidence, which I have been reading bit by bit; for those of you who can't stand the thought of new age books, sorry! My yoga teacher periodically reads short excerpts at the beginning or end of class, usually consisting of a paragraph that goes with the theme of that day's class and a mantra. I found my copy at a thrift store for $2.

The relevant passages?

Imagine that you're detached from the outcome.

Imagine that a deeply profound ocean of calm exists in you that is not affected by any turbulence.

If I can imagine detachment, I'm less likely to take it personally that I was cut from a project about which I had received good feedback and that the next project was canceled.

If I can imagine a place of calmness, I'm more likely to move on without bitterness. My tactic is to remember that contract work is variable. No matter the original plan, something else is likely to happen.

Meanwhile, I contact agencies weekly, send resumes to suitable jobs and network.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

excellent attitude... i am copying it today.

Freeloader Attorney said...

Glad the attitude helps! Love your username!