Saturday, June 7, 2008

More on What to Do?

Even after graduating from law school, passing the bar exam and not getting a job as an attorney, as you know, I'm still trying to figure out what I want to do with my education.

Your local job service (or whatever it's called in your state) can be a source for job seeking help; they often have classes, which may be too simplistic for your needs as they're geared toward those with less education. Church groups often have networking groups; while there are many of these, look at the webpages and see what services they offer. In my area some host speakers, other have networking groups, others are combinations. One church has a 4-week class, offered several times a year with a great speaker. It's a lot of work and you have to be willing to answer all the questions and work through their exercises. Some churches offer networking contacts. Others send out lists of jobs they've heard about. It may be helpful to take advantage of several of these opportunities in combination to get the best of it. Everyone has different needs so what works for me might not be the best choice for you.

Another option, recently brought to my attention, is Lawyers Concerned for Lawyers; in my state, not only do they work with people who have mental health or substance abuse issues, they're a starting point for many other stress-related issues. I was surprised to learn that they have a CLE designed for attorneys who want to change careers or who are seeking their proper place in life.

One of my friends is attending this class soon, but I've completed my requirements for this reporting period. If she has a good experience, I'll consider attending, even though it costs $150.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

all options must be considered in these tough times... perhaps the law school could have been more honest ??

Freeloader Attorney said...

Caveat emptor; like any other situation, it was up to me to investigate what I was going into debt for. The economy was booming at the time and I had no reason to believe there wouldn't be jobs when I was done with school.

Not the school's fault I didn't have a plan for what to do once I got my diploma and passed the bar exam. My fault entirely; going to law school was my idea, not the school's.