Sunday, May 18, 2008

Snacks

Last year I worked on a project with this guy who would come up, sign in to his computer and immediately go out for coffee and a muffin or doughnut. He bought lunch every day and would go out for more coffee and a snack later. We did the math one day and figured he was spending at least $20/per day! Just on lunch and snacks. Granted, he took the bus so didn't have the big parking payments, but still!
That was a firm with a wonderful environment. On our first day, we were given a tour of the firm and they provided internal maps so we knew where people sat! They provided coffee, tea, cocoa and lemonade/iced tea packets. I understand that people have preferences for coffee, but in a place that provides good coffee? Not the place to go out.
Generally I'm trying to eat better and made a huge pasta salad this week; I cheat and just use Italian salad dressing to mix with my veggies and pasta. I also have a sandwich and some fruit.
I try to keep snacks with me so I don't go to the vending machines. They're on all the floors here so it's easy. And they just got new ones so have a whole different mix of sodas, which I don't drink anyway; however, they have this new siamese-twin machine with juice, water and iced tea products on one side and snacks on the other. A whole machine full of beverages but the iced tea is diet. My preferred snacks are gone, so less temptation there for me!
I brought almonds and dried cherries in a bid to have something healthier for me. And try to bring a lot of fruit. Which doesn't always rule out the vending machines. Sometimes you've got to be bad.

No comments: