Friday, May 23, 2008

CLE Annual Pass

I have friends who spend the money for an annual pass; be careful if you do this and find out the timing first; some passes are sold so they start July 1 and go through June 30, but are prorated if you buy partway through the year (then they want to sell you a pass for a year and a half, or one for 15 months).

That's not the pass to get. What you want is the one that starts when you buy it and goes for a year. In that case, you can buy a pass in March, take your CLE's for this reporting period (assuming your reporting period goes through June) and continue with the same pass, taking enough credits for the next reporting period. That's a good deal.

In my jurisdiction, the state pass is the one to get; the county I live in goes from set dates.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you have examples of the "state passes"

Freeloader Attorney said...

In my state, the state bar association is a CLE provider and sells an annual pass, as does my local county bar association. I realize that other states are set up differently and the bar association my not provide CLE's or sell an annual pass.

Other CLE providers may have passes or some type of bulk deal. See who the providers are in your area and then whether there are any deals.