Friday, May 2, 2008

Non-profit Organizations sometimes have lunchtime CLE's

Non-profit organizations sometimes have free CLE's, most commonly at lunchtime. They're usually hosted by a law firm that provides a free lunch. Lunches will vary by firm and can be: box lunches from Au Bon Pain, wraps and chips with brownies, or really nice catered lunches with china.

The program is typically related to the Non-profits area of expertise and are sometimes very interesting. I've attended several put on by two different programs of the same non-profit.

Program A takes place at a firm that has filed for bankruptcy and will have a giveaway item, such as a tin of firm-labeled mints or firm-labeled lip balm. I'm currently using the firmbalm and really like it. I wish I knew who made it so I could find it in the store (or the private labels it's made for). They also have firm-label water, but it seems like everyone has that these days.

Program B takes place at a different firm and has more involvement from that firm; I think they have an associate who is a board member of the NP. Their topics are more interesting than those in Program A, but they had wraps, which were fine; great salad; fabulous breadsticks and really boring brownies.

Neither of these is as nice as the lunch I went to for the Freedom Project, which was a catered lunch at a big firm. Great program and the best lunch ever. The Freedom Project has a great forensics CLE coming up in MN, which takes place at the BCA. If I hadn't already reported I'd spend the money on this. I'd love the Firing Range Breakout Session!

No comments: