Monday, May 19, 2008

Necessities

If you're a new attorney, doing contract work, you're most likely doing a document review in a big room somewhere with all the other unemployed attorneys in your area, at least the ones who aren't in one of the other big rooms full of unemployed attorneys, clicking on documents.
If this is what you're doing, finances and rules permitting, you need an MP3 player. If you're one of the three remaining people not to have one, I know a few people who have gotten them on deal of the day webpages, such as 1Saleaday, ThingFling, Woot and Stootsi. These are the best things to have when you're working on a document review.
They reduce outside noise, including the hum of computers, and the crunching of the person next to you or across from you. And greatly help with sanity. Mine isn't fully loaded but I keep changing it up a bit; right now I have a lot of jazz and am not really in the mood for jazz so will likely change the mix next time I think of it.
I have an i-pod but have not yet succumbed to the lure of i-tunes; first, I have a bunch of cd's, second, I get more bang for my buck at my local independent record store, buying primarily used cd's.
It seems like a luxury, but it helps the day go by much faster.

1 comment:

Gabe Acevedo said...

Audible.com is a great place to download books. Kept me sane when I was on heavy houred reviews.