Friday, May 9, 2008

Resumes

I won't bore you with telling you how to write a resume. Keep in mind that it really is a work in progress and no matter what you do, there will be those who like it and others who hate it. Not a big deal either way. As long as your spelling and grammar are correct, not a problem.

I'm sure everyone is aware that there is resume information available at your Alma Mater, both of them if your undergrad and law school took place at different schools, as well as the library, bookstore and internet. No doubt you have a friend who could look at it for you as well.

Please do have someone look at your resume before you send it. You'll have fewer typos get through that way. I once got a call from someone who had received my resume and noticed an error. She wasn't the hiring manager but called and asked if I wanted her to throw it away and re-send a corrected copy.

Yes, please!

I didn't get an interview for that job, but it reinforced the need to check with a fine-tooth comb. Don't rely on spell-check because it doesn't care; if you use a word, it can't differentiate between that word and the one you meant to use.

No comments: