Monday, May 12, 2008

Debt

When I finished law school, I had student loans and credit card debt. I compounded that by buying a new car (the car I had was 13 years old), getting a clerkship, consolidating my credit cards with my credit union and racking up more credit card debt.
Now that my consumer debt is gone, I'm focused on reducing my loans so I can achieve my dream of owning a home. In my case it's likely to be a Condominium or Town House. To that end, I'm paying much closer attention to my spending than I used to. I try not to buy bottled water, instead, I bring water from home when I run errands. Sometimes that's a water bottle, other times I just take a glass of water with me. It fits in the cupholder.
I try to be realistic and don't expect perfect behavior; I have strict goals for 4-5 months at a time, then loosen it up for a few months. I know I'll have trouble if I prohibit buying anything so try to be reasonable about what's okay to buy. While I'm not a lipstick junkie, II allow myself to buy certain things, like Clinique products for the recent bonus. I try to limit myself to buying lunch once a week, but that doesn't always work out. You have to be able to go out with friends and happy hour specials are the perfect way to do that.
I'm also saving money so I have a cushion in the event of catastrophe or lack of work. I'm qualified to make contributions to a 401K and am doing so.
I'm also trying to be more diligent and consistent in looking for a full-time permanent position.

On Friday I got my economic stimulus deposit and am only waiting to get paid this week before paying off my little loan.

No comments: