Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Things People Carry on the Bus

I carry a gigantic red purse, large enough to contain my lunch, a book and a pair of shoes. Since we have snow now, that last item is helpful. I deliberately carry a large bag, so I don't need to carry multiple items with me. I end up carrying more to a contract position with no real place to keep anything than I would if I were in a permanent position, or even one in which I have space to put stuff.

Many people on the bus carry multiple bags, but I have the strange feeling that most of them are going to a so-called permanent position; which leads me to wonder what on earth they're carrying back and forth each day.

Men used to carry hardsided briefcases
, which have gone by the wayside and been replaced first by softer cases, now primarily by high-end, Tumi or Swiss Army backpacks and may be also accompanied by a computer bag. Along with a duffel bag.

Women are loaded down even more; I have seen people carrying a purse, lunch bag (either fabric bag or small handled store bag obviously containing lunch), a tote bag and a handled grocery or shopping bag.

It's way too much stuff.

No comments: