Monday, December 29, 2008

Cutting Back

I didn't do so well on cutting back for Christmas as I ended up donating to charities. I took ornaments from my church's giving tree, so bought presents for a few strangers and aren't there laws about Barbie requiring a change of clothes? In addition, I bought things for the Salvation Army adopt-a-family, and went a bit overboard.

The family we were assigned is a single mom with two teenagers. We looked at their list and everyone had different ideas about the most important thing to have at that age; because programs for the needy have other focuses, we knew we had to buy bedding. If there is any available, it won't be new. We ended up buying everything on the list, and making an effort to find things that teenage boys would like.

I wasn't raised in a wealthy family, but we always had what we needed. I can't imagine not having decent bedding. I now have new flannel sheets for the rest of the winter, courtesy of Kohl's after Christmas sale.

No comments: