Friday, December 26, 2008

Settling In

Holiday season is a strange time to start a new job and a bit disconcerting; on the plus side is qualifying for holiday pay without worrying about the thousand or so hours one must first log through an agency, and having a respite from the fatigue of learning all the new information and systems.

On the down side? Not knowing the people or having any idea what the vacation patterns are, so no idea whether the people you need are going to be available when you have a question. I'm working with people who have been here, for the most part, forever, so take off when they want to as they have a large amount of time with which to work.

While I still think this is more secure than contract work, there's a huge budget shortfall in the state that has the potential to affect a lot of people.

Me? While I get vacation time, I can't use it until I've been here 6 mos.


No comments: