Saturday, December 6, 2008

Being a Conscious Consumer

There was a really interesting article about consumerism and paying more attention to what you're buying.

When I was a kid, my aunt would buy gifts, but she had to spend the exact same amount on everyone. Which means that people received some random little trinket just to get the bottom line to match up. Crazy.

My Christmas list is small but has expanded this year between the giving tree at my church and adopting a family through the Salvation Army. The presents from the giving tree are basic; pick a construction paper ornament on which is written a request for a certain gift. Return the gift, wrapped or unwrapped, depending on the program it's for, together with the ornament that identifies the recipient. Most of the gifts can be had for $25 or less. I took a few ornaments.

Together with my mom and sister, I have adopted a family from the Salvation Army. For those of you who think you're poor, you're probably not; the family is a single mother with two teenage sons. Their list includes bed linens. Spoiled suburbanite that I am, I view gifts as something I don't need but rather want. Bed linens in my life are a given.

No comments: