Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Even Death Doesn't Stop Debt Collectors

I used to work with a woman whose first job out of law school was with a debt-collection outfit; you call the bank holding the deceased's credit card to let them know? Next thing you know, someone is calling you, asking for payment. Legally, the person's estate is responsible for payment, not any other individual who would not otherwise be liable. I know from experience, having been interrupted in the middle of the shower when an attorney/collector called my mom's house a few days after my dad died, that people can get scared when attorneys call.

Not all posthumous-debt collectors are attorneys, but a bank in my area has hired a law firm, which has a collections branch. My sister freaked out, thus the interrupted shower. Her take on the situation is that a phone call from an attorney is an emergency. Mine? Unless the house is burning down, don't bother me in the shower. An attorney is not an emergency.

While I believe in paying debt, many people are without insurance or any other asset, so the debt collector is taking advantage of the fact that people just don't know they're not responsible for another person's debt when that person dies. You also don't know that person's situation and it's entirely possible that they're committing to payments but can't really afford it. I'd have trouble making those calls because it's just unseemly.

I'm glad that my federally backed loans die with me; as it is, every month, the debt that doesn't die with me is reduced a little. Right now I'm insured for enough money that my co-signer will not be left holding the bag if anything happens to me.

No comments: