Tuesday, March 10, 2009

E-mail Organization

I have multiple e-mail accounts, and am not always good about clearing them out. In my personal life, I have an account related to this blog and a couple of accounts related to myself, one of which is a hotmail account that I rarely open. At work, I have one account.

My primary personal e-mail account is through g-mail and I had over 1500 messages in it. I'm subscribed to e-mail from various places; among other things, I never de-activated my job searches because you never know what's going to come up. I have some subscriptions that are daily, some weekly, others monthly and some that are random. In addition to those, I get e-mails from comments here and on another blog to which I sometimes contribute. And I have personal messages, along with messages from social networking mechanisms.

As a result, I have quite a bit of e-mail some days, which is fine if I'm diligent and decide the outcome when I see the e-mail. Because of the masses of storage, it's easy to scan, read and not hit the delete button; I might want to see this again. In most cases, I really don't want to see it again, and its continuing presence, further and further away from the first page of messages, shows that.

I spent quite a bit of time the other day, deleting job postings to which I never replied; my current theory is that, unless I'm absolutely not going to be home that evening to apply for the job, if I'm interested, I'll reply the same day, otherwise I should just delete the next day. Of course, since I've been in my year-long position for four months, I haven't yet updated my resume, and need to do so this month. As much as I'd like for this project to be extended, I can't count on it. Because government moves slowly, it took several months for my current position to be posted and several more to make it through the hiring process; therefore, I have to update soon as it takes awhile for an appropriate job to come through.

Meanwhile, my e-mail is cleared out, at least for awhile.


No comments: