Friday, March 27, 2009

Cell Phone Contracts

It seems that I'm not the only one thinking about letting my cellphone contract go. I'm actually out of contract and have been for over a year. My phone still works and I have a backup phone donated to me by someone who frequently gets new phones, so I'm good to go as long as I want to keep my current carrier.

The problem is, while I haven't analyzed my use, I haven't been using very many minutes; less than 10% of my anytime allotment. Keep in mind that doesn't count evening and weekend use or in-network calling, both of which I use. I have to look at my last several bills to see if the switch is viable or whether it would cost me more in the long run.

The benefit is that I'd free up a bit of cash, always a good thing, and have less incentive to add bells and whistles. I just need a basic phone as I don't use it for anything but talking. I'm usually by a landline and a computer, so communication really isn't an issue, generally.

Because contracts are required and it gets expensive, I don't see the need to have a ton of minutes; this, despite the trend toward losing landlines and using cell phones exclusively. One of my friends is just about to cut off the landline and get a cell instead; however, said friend takes about six calls per month at home so it really would make more sense that way.

I'm a chatter sometimes and worry that if I had nothing but a cell, I'd eat up all the minutes talking to family members who have trouble getting off the phone.

No comments: