Monday, March 16, 2009

Cell Phone Providers

Because I haven't been using my phone too much lately, I think I'm paying too much for the service that I have. Verizon doesn't appear to have any lower-priced options for me so I'm looking in to other possibilities. While there is nothing inherently wrong with Verizon, except their upcoming sale of private information unless you opt out, I'm not getting good value for my money as I don't come anywhere near using all my minutes. With tax, I pay slightly more than $45/mo; over $500 mo, which is a lot, considering I haven't used 20 of my 450 anytime minutes this month.

I checked PhoneDog and MyRatePlan and determined that I can get a pay as you go plan from Virgin Mobile; 200 minutes for $24.95. 500 evening and weekend minutes are included. So long as you purchase another card each month, any remaining minutes are rolled over, maximum 5,000. It seems like it might be a good option for me; there would be an immediate investment in the phone and possibly a car charger to use with it.

I did look at Verizon's prepaid plan, but it seems that paying $0.99/day of use plus a fee per minute or $1.99 with a lower fee/minute would cost more than they seem to; if I pay the lower rate and have a call every day, that's $30/mo + minutes used. Virgin's plan is more straightforward in charging a set fee for a set number of minutes and appears to be a better deal. Not only that, Virgin has more options in their pre-pay phone set and more price points.

Has anyone used either of these pre-pays? If so, what did you think?

No comments: