Friday, February 13, 2009

Debt Collectors

Right now, I know two people who have been having trouble with debt and debt collectors. What's interesting to me is that people don't cut out the unnecessary in order to take care of these things. I'm happy that I'm currently able to make payments on all my bills, even though it doesn't feel like I'm reducing anything. I won't feel like debt has been reduced until I manage to pay off another student loan, even though it'll be awhile before that happens.

I know, unnecessary is in the eye of the beholder, and the last thing I'd pay for is a gaming subscription or satellite tv. My quasi-useless items are internet access and my cellphone. I use the internet a lot more than my cellphone and sometimes think I should switch to a pay-to-play phone. Except I don't have long-distance on my land line and have several contacts on the same cell carrier so have free calling for those people. I do a lot online, including communicate with friends, blog, shop and look for jobs. I also read the paper. Which is likely why my local paper has filed for bankruptcy. I don't know whether I'd pay for a subscription to the paper online when there's so much free content out there.

I think I have eliminated most of my unnecessary expenditures and I know I'm more thoughtful when making purchases, whether groceries or anything else. I'm bad for the economy, but have been bad for it for several years now.

No comments: