Sunday, April 12, 2009

Privacy

Do we still have an expectation of privacy? When I was in Law School, I wrote a paper that included a section on privacy. I believe the question was whether an employee with an office had the expectation of privacy for a phone conversation when the office door was shut. At that time, pre-Facebook, in some jurisdictions, the employee did have the expectation of privacy.

In my workplace, I have a door on my office, but have been advised that the walls are thin as it's new construction and there is a phone room in a hallway with no offices, that's next to the elevator, in the atrium. That should provide privacy as there's no reason anyone would be standing there longer than it takes for the elevator to arrive in a four story building.

Technology is having a huge impact on the reasonableness and will likely result in a change in the law; is the reasonableness test reasonable in these days of Google cars putting your neighborhood online.

No comments: