Sunday, April 5, 2009

Groceries, Coupons and Fanaticism

I'm not a coupon-clipping fanatic, though I know people save a lot by using coupons; I do but don't obsess over it. Most of the coupon savings are direct from my grocery store. I buy things I know I'll use and will stockpile a bit but at some point you need to use it all. I try not to buy extra, unnecessary things, which can vary with the day. I waffle about some things that I like but don't truly need. Sometimes I'll buy, other times I won't.

I don't think complete deprivation is the answer; if I did, I'd be buying Ramen noodles, hummus and peanut butter. And nothing else. Instead, I buy fruit that I like, but hold out for sales for pineapple. I need fruit but it doesn't have to be pineapple. A couple weeks ago I bought pineapple 2 for $5 for the first time since Christmas. I just don't need it for $5 apiece.

I'm also trying to use what I have; you'd be amazed at all the duplication in my pantry. I have multiples of the same herbs and spices, and tons of condiments to use up. I don't need to buy salad dressing for a long time since I have a stockpile of it. While it isn't that expensive, I just need to use what I have and not keep so many varieties around. I'm trying to pay more attention to whether I already have one and wait until I'm out or nearly so to buy another. It doesn't sound like a big savings because eventually I spend the money, but I defer that expenditure until I really need it, so instead of having money tied up in canned goods and condiments, I wait until I'm actually going to use the item. Unless it's on sale and I buy ahead because I know I'll need it soon or know I'll use the item frequently by the time it goes on sale again.

No comments: